Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Went to school yesterday in the morning after 2 months of holidays for OGL meeting. Have to wake up so early, my body ain't used to it yet. That is one reason why I don't want to go to school, hahaha. Ironically, I can't wait for school to start so I can get my pocket money.

Mr leow, the teacher in charge of the orientation camp next year, gave us a super long but meaningful talk. He mentioned 2 values that determine whether we will become successful in the things we do that I thought was rather true.

1. Passion
2. Positive attitude

It seems almost too simple to the point of mockery to say these; anyone will be able to give the same values or even more. Yet the truth lies just ahead.

Passion

-is the engine driving you forward. Nothing gets accomplish without passion.
-makes you do something even without anything in return. You just do it because you want to, not because you need to.
-is active, not just blindly speaking it but acting it out.

When was the last time you have been passionate about something? The feeling of being passionate for something is beyond description. You just feel that everyday is a brand new day and you can't wait to start doing the things you are passionate about.

My teacher said he don't need talented people, don't need tremedous amount of people, only people with tenacity and passion. That is something I need to work on.

Positive attitude

I'm an optimist by nature so this is my forte. Many people don't believe in positive attitude, saying that it is plain self-deception. It is like saying the world won't end and we will live forever, when people are dying everyday and there won't be any elixir of life possibly being invented in the next 10000 years or so.

Having positive attitude is not the same as not planning for the worst. Sure I do plan for the worst, but I don't hope for them to happen or lament about it. The best way to have positive attitude is to say 'Hey, my house just crashed, but at least something worse didn't happen, like the sun falling from the sky.'

There is 288377733999 (some random numbers) ways for the situation to become worse. I learnt this in biology from my school's top scorer. It is harder for something to be right than it to be wrong. It contains abit of evolution theory,which I don't believe in anyway: the white-peppered moth. There is so many ways for the moth to be another colour. It can be red, blue, black, yellow, purple, orange, violet, indigo, green, etc. But out of all these colours, it became white. There is a math theory about this too, which I can't recall, haha.

So for the orientation camp, our teacher said all he need from us is being passionate and having positive attitude.

With this, I shall prepare for my OGL prep camp starting from tomorrow till saturday. Hope I won't miss service!

I just did chemistry and only managed to do one question. Forgot all about simple stuff like mole concept and chemical bonding. Guess I was too complacent...

Astarmist