Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A flaw in the education system?

What a long day. Just came back from CGC meeting with pastor at riverwalk. School ended at 5pm and I rushed there for the meeting. Reached riverwalk at 5.55pm. Then prepared the hall by stacking the chairs. Saw a few familiar faces and, yea, we started with some introduction, SOP (Standard Operation Prodecure).

Then we sang praise and worship. Strong presence of God and we all knelt down. I like kneeling down, but my knees hurt and I have callus-some form of growth on the sole of the foot. They call it atheletes' foot for layman's term. Who cares anyway...lol

Then pastor asked us to share about our revelation from the service's sermon. Then we prayed for the church, cg, personal/spiritual life after that. Then planned the upcoming events in may. Looking forward to the exciting events. Gonna have a Wii Competition and the prize is gonna be sooooo attractive (as promised by pastor. Lol!)

Then he asked us to come up with plans to reach out to our friends. Since the secondary school people are having exams around the corner, some of the people suggested study groups in jurong west church. Then pastor asked for people who can tutor secondary students. Then a few of us raised our hands, including me. Then pastor asked what subjects we can teach/our grades all that. Then I say I can teach almost all the subjects. Then he say 'you sure anot? Don't misled my students.' I was like 'can 1 can 1, haha. 'Lol!

But seriously, I can't recall most of the secondary school stuffs I learnt. Other than maths and english, which is pretty standard, science I can't remember much. Especially since I study triple science. Chem and phy maybe a bit since I'm currently taking it now. But Bio, hmm...I doubt so.

Thats the flaw of the education system. Seriously, think about it for a moment. Different people have different career goals. For me, I want study business. So, whats the point of learning chem, phy, bio, art, home econs, in secondary when it is only partially or totally not relevant at all? I only need maths, econs and some usage and command of english. Maybe a bit of logic and critical thinking too, which are both not taught in the education system.

Saying this though, I still enjoy learning the sciences. In fact, my 1st ambition is to become a doctor, which is quite hard to realise it now, especially in Singapore. PM lee wants to develop us holistically. But, doing so, we are unable to specialise or have an early/strong foundation for our ambition.

Now thats a food for thought, ehh?