Saturday, October 24, 2009

I'm going write about part of what Edwin shared with me about the working world.

Politics. The good, the not-so-good, and the ugly truth about it.

I don't really revel in involving myself in it, but it is inevitable in almost every phase of life's journey. Even when you try to avoid it, you'll find yourself unknowingly falling into the trap of one. Some use it to their advantage, others succumb to it. For me, I prefer taking a neutral standing to the best that I can. The only one time I got involved is during my CCA in JC. Now getting involved is totally different from experiencing it.

My first experience with class politics is during sec 3. Maybe I did experienced it before sec 3, but I was basically a recluse prior to my sec 3 life, so I don't have much recollection of the past. I remembered how competitive my class was, being the best class in the whole school. Due to this "title" we hold, everyone wanted to be the best. There were backstabbing, gossiping and I keep hearing person A saying something about person B behind his back. Then person B saying another thing about person C and the chain just keeps going on.

Edwin said politics arise when someone not in position tries to act like he is the boss, which I agree. I mean, why will people badmouth one another for no reason? Eat finish rice nothing else better to do? All for the desire to be the best, to look the best in front of everyone. The best of everything. Humans tend to try their very best to surpass their rivals and their opponents. But in reality, what they really need to surpass is themselves.

School is full of politics, work is full of politics, government is full of politics. In short, almost every place is full of politics. Even church and cell groups have politics! Pastor Kong did mention this before. But the extent of politics is not as bad as compared to the world.

I always thank God for a great CGL like Edwin. I told him today that he is the best CGL I ever have. With him around, our CG won't dare to have politics. And of course with Chao Chung too, hahaha! I've seen CGs with politics before and it's quite sad, considering all of them are Christians too.

Going to service and CG is like a haven to me. It's like after going through one whole week of hell in school with all the politics and such, you can finally enjoy two days free without politics. Every week, I'm looking forward to the weekends. I'm sure working adults do likewise in greater magnitude.

I used to think that if you treat everyone well, be kind to them, help them, eventually they'll treat you better as well. But the working world, I guess, is totally opposite. It is a dog-eat-dog world out there, most people should already know. It is quite depressing that people will still back-stab when you mean no harm to them. Human relations is really important. You can't trust everyone. Doing so is being plain naive. The skill to discern who to trust is quintessential in life. I myself need to learn and have more experience in it.

Saying so many negative things about politics, of course there is a good part about it. The good part is that it puts pressure on the existing leaders to do better. If there isn't any opposition, then the leaders will slack and the people will suffer.

In conclusion, it is all about balance. Too much or too little of anything is always bad. Science students will know this the best. The key to life is balance, moderation in everything we do. Even for exercise, do too much and you'll injure your muscles, like me yesterday >.<...

Studying too much is also bad for health, lol! Hahahhahahah! =D (A lot of people will kill me for this, haha!)

Hardest MCQ question of the day:

Gary's father will be bringing him overseas during the 2nd week of January for holiday to relax after A levels. Gary already has a few countries in mind, but he can only choose one. Which country should he go? Budget and price is not of a concern in this question.

1) Perth
2) Japan
3) HK disneyland
4) Australia

Stanley answered 1, Gou wei answered 2. It is a tie now. Waiting for more ideas and responses.

Yippee! =)