Sometimes the person who has been a listening ear to his friends, listening to their problems and encouraging them, needs someone to be his listening ear and his encouragement as well.
Sometimes, a person doesn't need answers, he just want someone to share his problems with.
My mother asked my dad and I last week that if a mental patient knows that he is having mental problems and if he does, can he control it?
My dad said no straight away but I said it's possible and began a short debate with him. In the end I cited some examples, gave a few psychiatric explanation and convinced both of them it is possible that he knows he is going through it, but it may or may not be within his control, depending on his mental strength.
So if a person is going through depression, will the person know? Probably, and that's why they seek help from psychiatrist and take medications. Analogy- If a person doesn't know he is sick, he won't bother going to a doctor.
I can confirm this personally now, cause I'm having some emotional problem, and I know I'm going through it.
Sigh...feeling really sick and tired.
Really hope this transition period will pass by quickly.